Property Management Gateway Letting- 020 8090 1778 . Open 7 days a week. 9am-7pm

Landlords Info Tenants Info Properties Local Area Info UK Network Contact Details *
Landlords Info Tenants Info Properties Local Area Info UK Network Contact Details *
property lettings

Affordable service to busy Landlords -call us on 0208 090 1778

Guide Our Service Insurance Investment Contact Form


It's complicated letting a property. There are several matters that need to dealt with to ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly, and also that it complies with the latest laws and guidelines. Dont just use any old tenancy agreement as it might be out of date. For brief details of a subject scroll down the page or click on Guide.

If you require further advice or assistance about rent or letting you property in the Croydon or Purley and surrounding areas, please do not hesitate to contact us on 020 8090 1778.
We have extensive experience and know how to manage property for optimum performance, whilst ensuring smooth running tenancies, and compliance with the various landlord/tenant laws. Maximise the return on your investment - contact us now.

Our Personal Services to the Landlord include*:

Three options available for our landlords to choose from:

- 1. Full property management: In the Purley and Croydon Areas. We manage the tenant, rent and property maintenance fully so the property owner has time for other things. NO LET, NO FEE (Ours are the lowest fees in the area which gives you best value for money). Online statements so Landlords are kept up to date.

- 2.
Letting only: In the Purley and Croydon Areas - We find good professional employed tenants, do viewings, reference checks and contracts and arrange anything else that may be needed. NO LET, NO FEE

- 3. Rent Collection: From all over the UK Landlords ask us to do the rent collection for their properties. This gives them the reassurance that they haven't missed a non payment by their tenant. It also puts a buffer between the landlord and tenant.

We are members of the RLA and The Digital Property Group ( now called Zoopla) and we get enquiries daily from good quality tenants from all over the UK and the world.
  1. Visiting the property, and providing a rental valuation and any other advice which you may require about letting your property.
  2. Advising you on compliance with the various safety regulations.
  3. Introducing suitable tenants. Your property will be advertised as necessary, however we have excellent contacts with various company and other establishment personnel departments, and we usually have tenants on our waiting list.
  4. Accompanying tenant applicants to view the property.
  5. Obtaining and evaluating tenant references and credit checks.
  6. Preparing a suitable tenancy agreement.
  7. Collecting and securing the deposit on behalf of the landlord.
  8. Arranging the preparation of a comprehensive inventory and condition report.
  9. Checking the tenant into the property and agreeing the inventory document.
  10. Supervising the transfer of gas, electricity and council tax accounts into the tenant's name.
  11. Receiving rental payments monthly in advance, and paying you promptly, together with a detailed statement from our computerised management systems.
  12. If required we can pay anyregular outgoings for you from rental payments (as requested).
  13. Inspecting the property periodically, and reporting any problems to you.
  14. Arranging any necessary repairs or maintenance, first liaising with you in the case of larger works.
  15. Keeping in touch with the tenant on a routine basis, and arranging renewals of the agreement as necessary.
  16. Checking tenants out as required, reletting and continuing the process with the minimum of vacant periods to ensure that you receive the optimum return from your property.* Services may depend on whether full management, rent collection or the tenant introduction service only was selected.

Additional services:

Loans to refurbish a rental property (subject to 5 year Management Contract and interest is payable on oustanding balance)
Rent Guarantee insurance (This is available for betwee £95 and £135 for 12 months cover. )
We can adapt our service to meet our client's individual circumstances and needs, for example by providing a part only service, or alternatively by taking on additional tasks and duties.
We can do check-outs and check-ins for absent landlords .
A few of our landlords are occasionally out of the country and we can take care of everything on their behalf during that time.

Our Fees

There are no up front charges - nothing to pay until a tenant moves in and starts paying rent.
Full reference checking is always done.

Call us on 02080901778 for our competitive fee sctructure

< top

Guide for Landlords

Before a property can be let, there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly, and also that he/she complies with the law. For brief details of a subject click on a blue link below, or scroll down the page. If you require further advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us:

Bills and regular outgoings
Council tax
The inventory
Income tax
Important safety regulations:
- Gas
- Electrical
- Furnishings
- General Products
Preparing the property for letting
General condition
Personal items
Mail forwarding
Info for tenants
Security Deposits

Proof Of Ownership
We require proof of ownership of the property to be let e.g. correspondence from your mortgage company, the title deeds, documentation relating to the ground rent (if leasehold) etc. Where the property is jointly owned, we will require the written consent of both owners to rent out the property. If one joint owner is absent, a written agreement regarding the apportioning of rental income will also be required.

If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.

If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease as you might need to obtain the necessary written consent before letting.

If you are a tenant yourself, you will require your landlord's consent.

You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. We can provide information on Landlord's Legal Protection, and Landlord's Contents insurance if required.

Gateway Letting works with Endsleigh Insurance to offer all landlords invaluable low cost insurance offers. As your Letting Agent we would like to stress the importance of taking buildings and/or contents insurance when lettings out your property. It is an inexpensive way to cover yourself against many potential perils such as:

* Theft
* Fire
* Water Damage
* Accidental Damage
* Legal Liability
* Malicious Damage

For an online quote please Click here or call Endsleigh 0800 783 2526 and mention "Gateway Letting" when you speak to them.

Bills and regular outgoings
We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. mortgage, service charges, maintenance contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However, where we are Managing the property, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, provided such bills are received in your name at our office, and that sufficient funds are held to your credit.

Council tax
Council tax is the responsibility of the occupier. We inform the local council of the new tenant. During vacant periods the charge reverts to the owner. When unoccupied but furnished, the charge is reduced. When unoccupied and 'substantially' unfurnished, the council charges as per their lastest fee structure.

The inventory
It is most important that an inventory of contents and schedule of condition be prepared, in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy. Without such safeguards, it will be impossible for the landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property or contents. In order to provide a complete service to the landlord, we will arrange for an inventory and condition report, at a cost to be quoted.

Income tax
When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely his responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, under new rules effective from 6 April 1996, unless an exemption certificate is held, we as landlord's agents are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received, less certain expenses. An application form for exemption from such deductions is available from this Agency, and further information may be obtained from the Inland Revenue.

Important safety regulations
The following safety requirements are the responsibility of the owner (the landlord), and where we are to manage the property, they are also ours as agents. Therefore to protect all interests we ensure full compliance with the appropriate regulations, at the owner's expense.

Gas Appliances & Equipment
Annual safety check: A valid Gas Safety Certificate must be supplied befoe the tenant moves in thereafter at least every 12 months by a competent engineer (e.g. a Gas Safe registered gas installer).
Maintenance: There is a duty to ensure that all gas appliances, flues and associated pipework are maintained in a safe condition at all times.

Electrical Appliances & Equipment
Although with tenanted property there is currently no specific legal requirement for a qualified electrician to carry out an inspection and issue a safety certificate (as exists in the case of gas appliances), it is now widely accepted in the letting industry that the only safe way to ensure safety, and to avoid the risk of being accused of neglecting your 'duty of care', or even of manslaughter is to arrange such an inspection and certificate.

White goods and appliances : Thses must comply to the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets Regulations 1994, the 2005 Building Regulation - 'Part P, and British Standard BS1363 relating to plugs and sockets.

Furniture & Furnishings
Furniture must meet minimum fire resistant standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, and beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture (used inside), scatter cushions, pillows, and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, bed clothes including duvets, loose covers for mattresses, pillowcases, curtains, carpets or sleeping bags. Therefore all relevant items as above must be checked for compliance, and non-compliant items removed from the premises. In practice, most (but not all) items which comply must have a suitable permanent label attached. Items purchased since 1990 from a reputable supplier are also likely to comply.

General Product Safety
The General Product Safety Regulations 1994 specify that any product supplied in the course of a commercial activity must be safe. In the case of letting, this would include both the structure of the building and its contents. Recommended action is to check for obvious danger signs - leaning walls, broken glass, sharp edges etc., and also to leave operating manuals or other written instructions about high risk items, such as hot surfaces, electric lawnmowers, etc. for the tenant.

Preparing the property for letting
We have found from experience that a good relationship with tenants is the key to a smooth-running tenancy. As Property Managers the relationship part is our job, but it is important that the tenants should feel comfortable in their temporary home, and that they are receiving value for their money. This is your job. Our policy of offering a service of quality and care therefore extends to our tenant applicants too, and we are pleased to recommend properties to rent which conform to certain minimum standards. Quality properties attract quality tenants.

General condition
Electrical, gas, plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems must be safe, sound and in good working order. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord's expense unless misuse can be established.

Similarly, appliances such as washing machine, fridge freezer, cooker, dishwasher etc. should be in usable condition. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord's expense unless misuse can be established.

Interior decorations should be in good condition, and preferably plain, light and neutral.

It is recommended that you leave only minimum furnishings, and these should be of reasonable quality. If it hasnt got a fire safety tag then it cant be accepted. It is preferable that items to be left are in the property during viewings. If you are letting unfurnished, we recommend that the property contains carpets, curtains, cooker and white goods.

Personal items, ornaments etc
Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc. should be removed from the premises, especially those of real or sentimental value. Some items may be boxed, sealed and stored in the loft at the owner's risk but we suggest not leaving any pesronal belongings behind in the property,loft, garage or shed. All cupboards and shelf space should be left clear for the tenant's own use.

Gardens should be left neat, tidy and rubbish-free, with any lawns cut. Tenants are required to maintain the gardens to a reasonable standard. However, few tenants are experienced gardeners, and if you value your garden, or if it is particularly large, you may wish us to arrange maintenance visits by our regular gardener. Sheds and garages should be empty and available for the tenant to use.

At the commencement of a tenancy the property must be in a thoroughly clean, dust and grease free condition, and at the end of each tenancy it is the tenant's responsibility to leave the property in similar condition. Where they fail to do so, cleaning will be arranged at their expense.

Mail forwarding
We recommend that you make use of the Post Office redirection service. Application forms are available at their counters, and the cost is minimal. It is not the tenant's responsibility to forward mail and mail may be returned to sender or binned.

Information for the tenant
It is helpful if you leave information for the tenant on operating the central heating and hot water system, washing machine and alarm system, and the day refuse is collected etc.

Security Deposits and the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS)
As of 6 April 2007 all deposits have to be protected by one of 2 schemes: The custodial scheme or the insurance scheme. Deposits will be dealt with us if full management has been chosen and the landlord does not have to worry about it at all. Where landlords are doing the management themselves, they must join one of the schemes themselves. Please contact us for more information.

The locks should be changed just before a new tenant moves in. You should provide two sets of keys for the tenant. The landlord or Gateway Lettting (if managed) will keep another set for emergencies.

< top